Ah, time for a new post in like for a long long time.
Recently, I noticed that many people are so angered by the remarks made by the Chinese 'scholar' named Sun. Well I still cannot figure out why would he be so stupid to leave such remarks on some website, where everyone in the world is able to read it. To be fair to him, he might just be ranting out on some uncles that irritated him. I myself dislike certain 'ah peks' and aunties when i see their disgusting behaviour on the trains etc. However he is just plain dumb to post that comments online, especially when xenophobia and tensions between Singaporeans and foreigners are on the rise recently. I mean to be honest, even if for example, I didn't like a certain race or whatever, I would not be posting such remarks online.
Over the decision made by NUS to cancel his scholarship and getting him to return the allowance given by our government, which amounts to around SGD8000+ I believe, I think that although it might serve a warning to other foreigners who might be as stupid as him to post such derogatory remarks, it is weird that he did not have to repay all the school fees that were paid by the government for the past 3 years. If I am not wrong, don't we have to repay all the money paid for the education in the scholarship if the scholarship is being revoked? Why the different treatment for Sun then?
I happened to read this article on Yahoo news about Sun (though I know Yahoo news usually are quite crappy). Judging on the comments made mostly by Singaporeans, I definitely can feel the rising discontent among them. Although the comments do not necessarily mean the majority views of Singaporeans, I can see that this is indeed a very thorny issue. Many people were just commenting on how the government treats the true citizens as second-class, whereas they love the foreigners so much. I also read comments that our government spends so much annually just to give out those scholarships to these foreign 'talents'. There is an important question that I want to ask, are these people really talents? I agree with the people who say that Singapore has their own pool of talents, just that our screwed up education fails to discover. The government just used a short cut way to just import these foreigners, and to use our falling birthrate as justification.
Although I sort of agree with the government that importing these foreign talents can help increase our birth rates and at the same time our competitiveness in the global market, I do wonder if they really sincerely thought through the social problems these policies will bring. I mean seriously, do they even care about the problems brought in by the influx of foreigners?
I used to love Singapore a lot when I was a young boy. I mean when I was in primary school, singing those national day songs along with my school mates felt so patriotic man. Now, I just feel that my country is being eroded by the overwhelming presence of foreigners. It is also disheartening to see incidences where the government treats true Singaporeans as second-class citizens.
I do not know if the PAP is too disillusioned with their power or what. Although they have worked hard to make Singapore a world class nation in terms of economy etc, I think that our society is not world class at all.
Oh well I will just stop here, if not I will just be writing nonsense if I carry on. Best solution, get out of Singapore before the living conditions here start to deteriorate, or before half of our population becomes foreigners. I will not have anything to do here if such things happen.